Summer is nearly here which means long days and more time to relax. And for many homeowners it is also time to open your pool for the season. While creating memories of Mermaid Races, Treasure Hunts and Marco Polo is what you are looking forward to, there are many precautions that should be taken when owning a pool. Here are a few:
- Establish a maintenance schedule to check your pool and equipment.
- Install non-slip material on decks.
- Have the electrical systems checked.
- Surround pool with a fence and a self-closing, self-latching gate.
- Install a compliant drain cover.
- Remove ladders and steps when pool is not in use.
- Consider installing a pool alarm that goes off when anyone enters the pool.
- Train all household members on pool safety.
- Consider taking a water safety, first aid and CPR course.
- Enroll children in swimming lessons.
- Supervise children when in or near pool.
- Have a rule that no one swims alone.
- Keep pool water clean, maintaining proper chemical balance.
By establishing a maintenance and safety procedure and reviewing them with your family you can enjoy the endless days of summer. And lounge on that water raft while the kids play Marco Polo!
For more information or answers to your insurance questions, contact us at The Fite Agency. We write auto, home, renters, condo, co-op, personal, business, and life insurance for clients locally.